Saying Thanks to Those Who Lead by Doing
An exceptional community links the common interests and goals of residents, schools, businesses and government. Recognizing the individuals, organizations, and businesses that formulate and strengthen these bonds encourages others to step forward with commitment, creativity, dedication, and teamwork. To that end, the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce thanks our business and community leaders by celebrating their leadership and example through the annual Spotlight on Sherwood Chamber Awards. Each award acknowledges how these role models and mentors drive the heartbeat of our city and make Sherwood great.
Finalists are nominated by the community and winners are chosen by a small group of residents and Chamber board members. Winners are announced at the Spotlight on Sherwood Annual Awards Dinner. This 2019 dinner will take place on June 27th at the Sherwood Center for the Arts from 6pm – 9pm. Tickets are now available to the public and can be reserved online.
Nominations are also now being accepted online. The category descriptions, a list of past winners, and nomination rules are listed below.
Large Business of the Year:
This award is given to a large business (10+ employees) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Recent Winners: Dutch Bros; PDX Wraps; Sherwood Dental Care
Small Business of the Year:
This award is given to a business (9 employees or less) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Recent Winners: Hill Tax, Payroll, & Bookkeeping; Hungry Hero Dessert Co.; Sherwood Dance Academy
Rookie of the Year:
This award is given to a new business (2 years and less young) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Recent Winners: Evolve Physical Therapy; Mason; Rebecca Fairbanks Agency
Business Leader of the Year:
This award is given to someone within the Sherwood Chamber who has made significant and lasting contributions to the Sherwood Community. They have demonstrated leadership and cooperation while benefiting the community and/or civic enterprises in the Sherwood area.
Recent Winners: Deb Yannariello; Shelly Rath; Renee Brouse
Citizen of the Year:
This award is given to an individual that is active in the community, demonstrates exceptional business ethics, provides leadership, and is a role model for others in the community.
Recent Winners: Ty Hanlon; Gregg Jacot; Polly Blankenbaker
Commitment to Youth Award:
This award is given to an individual or organization that has shown a commitment to help the youth in the Sherwood community develop emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual stability and/or grow their interests, talents and skills.
Recent Winners: Michelle Crosby; Dr. JJ Bittner; Voices for the Performing Arts Foundation
Golden Apple Award:
This award is given to an educator that has shown through classroom innovation, volunteering or involvement in the community a commitment to the youth in the Sherwood community. This individual has shown to be a mentor of children and they have gone above and beyond what is expected of them.
Recent Winners: Lindsay Walker; Jon Dickover; Rebeccah Wagner
Outstanding Community Service Award:
This award is given to a service club, volunteer, or non-profit organization. This person or organization has shown outstanding leadership, both within their organization and in their involvement in the community.
Recent Winners: Linda Henderson; Gerry and Dottie Edy; Lt. Rob Watson
Outstanding Youth Award:
This award recognizes an individual under the age of 21 who has demonstrated a commitment to the Sherwood community through civic activities and leadership.
Recent Winners: Delaney Cole; Matthew Schantin; Kristen Johnston
- Nominations can be made by any member of the public, but must not be related to the nominee
- If nominating a business for more than one award, individual nominations must be submitted for each award category
- The nominator must submit their name, phone number and e mail address in case the judging committee request clarification or more information
- All entries will remain the property of the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce • Nominations must be submitted by the deadline date Friday, May 24, 2019 for the 2019 Awards
- To access the nomination form click here or contact Corey at email@example.com
- Nominees do not need to be members of the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce unless stated.
- A business or individual may not receive the same award for three years after they have won it. (Previous winners are listed on our website www.sherwoodchamber.org)
- A business may be a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation
- A business/individual may submit nomination forms for more than one business
- A business may be nominated for more than one award. The Awards Judging Panel reserves the right to reassign the category of the nomination
- Chamber Executive Director and/or Board members are not eligible to be nominated.
- Members of the Judging committee are not eligible to be nominated
- Judging will be conducted by Chamber Board Members and up to 3 community persons.
- The Judging committee will base their decision solely on the nominee’s accomplishments as documented on the nomination form.
- Each committee member will review the nominations and rate them on a rate scale from 1-3 with 1 (lowest) 3 (highest) in each category
- The Judging committee will meet as a group and will award points according to the criteria for that category
- The Sherwood Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer will verify the point tallies and results of the committee
- The nominee with the most points is selected in each category; in case of a tie the committee will cast votes for the tied candidates only
- All decisions of the Judging committee are final
- Recipients will be announced at the annual Chamber of Commerce Spotlight event on June 27, 2019