Why Buy Local?
According to Sustainable Connections: “There are many well-documented benefits to our communities and to each of us to choosing local, independently owned businesses. We realize it is not always possible to buy what you need locally and so merely ask you to Think Local FIRST!
Top Reasons to Think Local – Buy Local – Be Local
- Buy Local — Support yourself: Several studies have shown that when you buy from an independent, locally owned business, rather than a nationally owned businesses, significantly more of your money is used to make purchases from other local businesses, service providers and farms — continuing to strengthen the economic base of the community. Support community groups: Non-profit organizations receive an average 250% more support from smaller business owners than they do from large businesses.
- Keep our community unique: Where we shop, where we eat and have fun — all of it makes our community home. Our one-of-a-kind businesses are an integral part of the distinctive character of this place. Our tourism businesses also benefit. “When people go on vacation they generally seek out destinations that offer them the sense of being someplace, not just anyplace.” ~ Richard Moe, President, National Historic Preservation Trust
- Reduce environmental impact: Locally owned businesses can make more local purchases requiring less transportation and generally set up shop in town or city centers as opposed to developing on the fringe. This generally means contributing less to sprawl, congestion, habitat loss and pollution.
- Create more good jobs: Small local businesses are the largest employer nationally and in our community, provide the most jobs to residents.
- Get better service: Local businesses often hire people with a better understanding of the products they are selling and take more time to get to know customers.
- Invest in community: Local businesses are owned by people who live in this community, are less likely to leave, and are more invested in the community’s future.
- Put your taxes to good use: Local businesses in town centers require comparatively little infrastructure investment and make more efficient use of public services as compared to nationally owned stores entering the community.
- Buy what you want, not what someone wants you to buy: A marketplace of tens of thousands of small businesses is the best way to ensure innovation and low prices over the long-term. A multitude of small businesses, each selecting products based not on a national sales plan but on their own interests and the needs of their local customers, guarantees a much broader range of product choices.
- Encourage local prosperity: A growing body of economic research shows that in an increasingly homogenized world, entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character.”
Be Local Buy Local Program
Visit these participating members Friday, Dec. 2nd through Saturday, Dec. 10th and with a purchase receive a drawing entry for every total purchase.
Les Schwab Tire Center-Sherwood• Echogate Energyworks • 503 Uncorked • Adams Screenprint •Al’s Garden Center • Glimpses of Wonder • It’s All Arranged •Mason •Mathnasium-Sherwood
•Modern Classics Auto Service • MudPuddles Toys & Books • Musa Martial Arts • Our Table Cooperative • Sherwin Williams • Sherwood Family Regional YMCA • Symposium Coffeehouse • Walt’s Appliance
Thank you to our Be Local Buy Local Sponsors Les Schwab Tire Centers – Sherwood and Echogate Energyworks!
Thanks to our supporting businesses:
• Amy Schlapper – Mary Kay • Bisnett Insurance • Fairbanks Insurance Agency-Allstate
• Forest Industry Supply • Key Bank • Sherwood Center for the Arts • Shari’s Restaurant
*For a complete list of participating businesses and complete event rules & regulations visit www.sherwoodchamber.org
Rules and Regulations Be local Buy Local
Shopping Spree Raffle Rules
By entering this Promotion, entrants accept and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. Any violation of these rules may result in disqualification.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this promotion; however, a purchase is one way to improve chances of winning.
Promotion begins Friday, December 2, 2016 and ends on Saturday, December 10, 2016, when all entries must be received (“Promotion Period”).
This sweepstakes (the “Promotion”) is only open to legal residents of Oregon who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry, excluding officers, directors, members, and employees of the Sponsors or any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, and the immediate family (i.e., parents, children, siblings, spouse), and persons residing in the same household, as such individuals. This Promotion is void outside Oregon, and where prohibited.
HOW TO ENTER
Individuals may enter the Promotion using the following methods:
1. Shop at participating businesses during the Promotion Period and fill out a raffle ticket. A money purchase spent at a participating business, customers earn one (1) free entry. Maximum number of tickets per purchase at one business is one (1) ticket per day. The more businesses you spend money at, the greater your chances of winning.
2. Entries may be requested via mail with no purchase necessary by; mailing a legibly handwriting request with sufficient postage, including first and last name, street address, city, state, ZIP, and email address to: SHOPPING SPREE RAFFLE Ticket Request, 22566 SW Washington St., Ste, 101, Sherwood OR 97140, Mail-in requests, including the envelope, must be handwritten. The outer envelope must include a return address in the upper left hand corner that matches the requestor’s street address, and must be received by Sponsor no later than December 11, 2016. (Not responsible for lack of delivery service). Limit one entry per day per household. Mail-in entries postmarked the same day do not qualify.
WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION
Winner selection will be conducted by random drawing from all eligible entries at 8:00 a.m. on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 (“the Drawing Date”). Winners do not need to be present to win. Any potential winner will be notified by mail, email and/or telephone. If a potential winner cannot be contacted, does not respond within five (5) days from the date the Sponsor first tries to notify him/her, and /or the prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable, such potential winner forfeits all rights to win the Promotion or receive the prize, and an alternate potential winner may be selected. Upon contacting a potential winner and determining that he/she has met all eligibility requirements of the Promotion, including without limitation the execution of required waivers, publicity and liability release and disclaimers, such individual will be declared the “winner’ of the Promotion. The decision by the Sponsor is final and binding based on their business judgment and at their sole discretion.
There will be one (1) winner. The grand prize winner will receive a basket comprising of gift cards, gift certificates, coupons and/or vouchers. Lost or stolen prizes will not be replaced.
ODDS OF WINNING
The odds of winning this Promotion depend on the number of eligible entries received.
CONSENT AND RELEASE
By entering the Promotion, each entrant understands that there may be other risks either known or unknown by them or not readily foreseeable at this time. By agreeing to participate each entrant fully accepts and assumes all such risks and responsibility for losses, costs, and damages they incur or that may be incurred on their behalf as a result of their participation in the Promotion. The entrant hereby releases and discharges, and covenants not to sue the Sponsor, judging organization (if applicable), and any other party associated with the development or administration of this Promotion, their parent, subsidiary, and affiliated entities, and each of their respective administrators, officers, directors, volunteers, interns, members, shareholders, employees, independent contractors, agents, representatives, successors and assigns (collectively, “Sponsor Entities”), from all liability, claims, demands, losses, or damages, on entrants account caused or alleged to be caused in whole or in part by the negligence of the Sponsor Entities or otherwise, including without limitation negligent rescue, legal claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages, demands or actions of any kind (including without limitation personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction or property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation, or portrayal in a false light, any and all claims in tort) (collectively, “Claims”);and further agree that if, despite this release, waiver of liability, and assumption of risk the entrant, or anyone on the entrant’s behalf, makes a claim against any of the Sponsor Entities, the entrant will indemnify, save, and hold harmless each of the Sponsor Entities from any loss, liability, damage, or cost, which any may incur as the result of such claim., Furthermore, by entering the Promotion, each entrant agrees to receive information by email and phone message from Sherwood Area Chamber of Commerce with the option to opt out after the first communication. Entrants may also receive occasional postal mail if a physical address is provided. Except where prohibited: (i) acceptance of a prize constitutes the consent of any winner, without further compensation, to use the name, image and likeness of such winner for editorial, advertising and publicity purposes by the Sponsor and/or others authorized by the Sponsor including all forms of social media, print journalism, and digital or electronic publications, television, radio or in whatever form deemed by the Sponsor to be appropriate; (ii) acceptance of a prize constitutes a release by any winner of the Sponsor Entities of any and all Claims in connection with the administration of this Promotion and the use, misuse, or possession of any prize; (iii) any potential winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility (including social security number) and a liability/publicity release. Affidavits and releases must be returned within ten (10) days from the date that Sponsor first tries to notify the potential winner. Only winners aged 21 and older will receive alcohol prizes. Any alcohol related prize will remain with the Sponsor.
Entries that are lost, late, misdirected, incorrect, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, will not be eligible. (i) Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any entry or person which it reasonably believes may have tampered with the entry process. (ii) Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate or modify or substitute prizes in the Promotion if it is not capable of completion as planned, including by reason of force majeure; (iii) Sponsor Entities and participating businesses are not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Promotion, including without limitation mechanical, human, printing, distribution or production errors, and may modify or cancel this Promotion based upon such error(s) at its sole discretion without liability; (iv) Entrant is responsible for knowing when a purchase is eligible by examining the official business list on Sherwood Chamber’s Website. Participating businesses are not required to remind potential entrants of their eligibility.
APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION
This Promotion is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Oregon.
Mediation/Arbitration. Any unresolved controversy or claim arising out of, or relating to, this Promotion, or any of the provisions described in this document or the making, performance, or interpretation of this Promotion, shall be settled, if at all possible, by professional mediation to be held in Washington County, Oregon. If mediation fails, any such controversy or claim shall be referred to and settled by arbitration in Washington County, Oregon, in accordance with the provisions of ORS 36.300-36.365 and local court rules, and judgment on the arbitration award may be entered in any court having jurisdiction over the subject matter of the controversy. A party may, without inconsistency with the agreement, seek from the court any interim or provisional relief that may be necessary to protect the rights or property of that party pending the establishment of the arbitration (or pending the arbitrator’s determination of the merits of the dispute, controversy, or claim). The arbitrator shall have authority to issue preliminary and other equitable relief. Discovery proceedings of the type provided by the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure shall be permitted in advance of the arbitration hearings. Any dispute relating to such discovery shall be resolved by the arbitrator. The arbitrator shall have the authority to award any remedy or relief that an Oregon court could order or grant, including, without limitation, specific performance of any obligation created under this agreement, the issuance of an injunction, or the imposition of sanctions for abuse or frustration of the arbitration process, except that the arbitrator shall not have authority to award punitive damages or any other amount for the purpose of imposing a penalty as opposed to compensating for actual damage suffered or loss incurred.
All judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees) associated with participation in this Promotion and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
The Shopping Spree Raffle is sponsored by the Sherwood Area Chamber of Commerce a non-profit organization, located at (22566 SW Washington St., Ste. 101, Sherwood, OR, 97140).