Saying Thanks to Those Who Lead by Doing
As we celebrate the end of another year it’s time to recognize Sherwood’s outstanding businesses, leaders, volunteers, and citizens by nominating them for the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce’s MVP awards.
Nominations will be accepted from all community members from December 1, 2019 through January 17, 2020. Finalists are nominated by the community and winners are chosen by a small group of residents and Chamber board members. Winners will be announced at the Awards banquet on February 27, 2020 at Langer’s Entertainment Center.
The category descriptions along with the previous year’s winners are below.
Thank you to all the sponsors who help make each year’s dinner a success! Please contact the Chamber at 503.625.7800 if you are interested in being a sponsor.
- Title Sponsor: Sentinel Self-Storage
- Host Location: Langer’s Entertainment Center
- Dinner Sponsor: Providence Newberg Medical Center
- Award Sponsors: Hill Tax, Consulting & Financial Services;
- Table Sponsors: Northwest Benefit Strategies; Adams Screenprint; Fairbanks Insurance Agency — Allstate: Portland Badge & Sign Company; The Springs at Sherwood; Sherwood Dental Care; MudPuddles Toys & Books; The Ackerly at Sherwood; COUNTRY Financial David Buswell; The Hampton Inn
Dinner tickets are no longer available for purchase.
Categories and Winners
Large Business of the Year:
This award is given to a large business (10+ employees) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Previous winners: Tree’s Restaurant & Catering 2019 * Dutch Bros 2018 * PDX Wraps 2017 * Sherwood Dental Care 2016 * Home Depot 2015 * Rose’s Restaurant & Bakery 2014 * Les Schwab 2013 * Pacific Family Dental 2012 * Sherwood YMCA 2011 * Innovations in Management 2010 * Bilet Products 2009 * Jim Fisher Roofing 2008 * Al’s Garden Center 2007 * Desirant Day Spa 2006 *
Cedar Creek Assisted Living 2005 * Pride Disposal 2004
Small Business of the Year:
This award is given to a business (9 employees or less) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Previous Winners: Nature’s Pet Market Sherwood 2019 * Hill Tax, Payroll & Bookkeeping 2018 * Hungry Hero Dessert Co. 2017 * Sherwood Dance Academy 2016 * 503 Uncorked 2015 * Musa Martial Arts 2014 * Sesame Donuts 2013 * Symposium 2012 * The Sherwood UPS Store 2011 * It’s All Arranged 2010 * Oregon Hearing Solutions 2009 * Sherwood Coffee Company 2008 * Chef Bernie Danylchuck 2007 * Nationwide Insurance 2006 * Accent Signs 2005 * Portraits by Design 2004
Rookie of the Year:
This award is given to a new business (2 years and less young) that demonstrates successful business practices, supports and engages in civic activities, and fosters business development within the community.
Previous Winners: Love Bites by Carnie 2019 * Evolve Physical Therapy 2018 * Mason 2017 * Rebecca Fairbanks Allstate Agency 2016
Business Leader of the Year:
This award is given to someone within the Sherwood Chamber who has made significant and lasting contributions to the Sherwood Community. They have demonstrated leadership and cooperation while benefiting the community and/or civic enterprises in the Sherwood area.
Previous Winners: Cam Durrell 2019 * Deb Yannariello 2018 * Shelly Rath 2017 * Renee Brouse 2016 * Kate Noreen 2015 * Kevin Bates 2014 * Amber Gardner 2013 * Stephanie & Jake Adams 2012 * Michael Carson 2011 * Matt Langer 2010
Citizen of the Year:
This award is given to an individual that is active in the community, demonstrates exceptional business ethics, provides leadership, and is a role model for others in the community.
Previous Winners: Caz Thomson 2019 * Ty Hanlon 2018 * Gregg Jacot 2017 * Polly Blankenbaker 2016 * Langer Family 2015 * Jim Haynes 2014 * Selma Broadhurst 2013 * Keith Mays 2012 * Leslie McCabe 2011 * Renee Brouse 2010 * Dan Jamison 2009 * Mark Federspiel 2008 * Lee Weislogel 2007 * Susan Rychlick 2006 * Phil McGuighan 2005 * Carrie Richards 2004
Commitment to Youth Award:
This award is given to an individual or organization that has shown a commitment to help the youth in the Sherwood community develop emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual stability and/or grow their interests, talents and skills.
Previous Winners: Kristen Hartman 2019 * Michelle Crosby 2018 * Dr. JJ Bittner 2017 * Voices of the Performing Arts 2016 * Rotary Club of Sherwood 2015 * Robyn Folsom 2014 * Jim Winkler 2013 * Sherwood High School Booster Club 2012 *
Susan Rychlick 2011 * Bill Butterfield 2010
Golden Apple Award:
This award is given to an educator that has shown through classroom innovation, volunteering or involvement in the community a commitment to the youth in the Sherwood community. This individual has shown to be a mentor of children and they have gone above and beyond what is expected of them.
Previous Winners: Briana Dannen 2019 * Lindsay Walker 2018 * Jon Dickover 2017 * Rebeccah Wagner 2016 * Doreen Steffeck 2015 * Jeff Stirling 2014 * Kathy Fisher 2012 * Mike Dyer 2013 * Diane Palidychuck 2010 * Colleen Thompson 2011 * John Neibergall 2009
Outstanding Community Service Award:
This award is given to a service club, volunteer, or non-profit organization. This person or organization has shown outstanding leadership, both within their organization and in their involvement in the community.
Previous Winners: American Legion Argonne Post 56 2019 * Linda Henderson 2018 * Gerry and Dottie Edy 2017 * Lt. Rob Watson 2016 * Lee Weislogel 2015 * Todd & Leslie McCabe 2014 *
Capt. Mark Daniel 2013 * The Springs of Sherwood Residents and Volunteers 2012 * Sherwood Rotary AM 2011 * Bob Siverforb 2010
Outstanding Youth Award:
This award recognizes an individual under the age of 21 who has demonstrated a commitment to the Sherwood community through civic activities and leadership.
Previous Winners: Hailey Hardcastle 2019 * Delaney Cole 2018 * Matthew Schantin 2017 * Kristen Johnston 2016 * Caitie Clifford 2015 * Jacob Keeth 2014 * Liz Wells 2013 * Clair Johnson 2012 * Liam Jaussi 2011 * Emily Rychlick 2010
- Nominations can be made by any member of the public, but must not be related to the nominee
- If nominating a business for more than one award, individual nominations must be submitted for each award category
- The nominator must submit their name, phone number and e mail address in case the judging committee request clarification or more information
- All entries will remain the property of the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce • Nominations must be submitted by the deadline date — Friday, January 10, 2020.
- To access the nomination form click here or contact Corey at email@example.com
- Nominees do not need to be members of the Sherwood Chamber of Commerce unless stated.
- A business or individual may not receive the same award for three years after they have won it. (Previous winners are listed on our website www.sherwoodchamber.org)
- A business may be a sole proprietorship, a partnership or a corporation
- A business/individual may submit nomination forms for more than one business
- A business may be nominated for more than one award. The Awards Judging Panel reserves the right to reassign the category of the nomination
- Chamber Executive Director and/or Board members are not eligible to be nominated.
- Members of the Judging committee are not eligible to be nominated
- Judging will be conducted by Chamber Board Members and up to 3 community persons.
- The Judging committee will base their decision solely on the nominee’s accomplishments as documented on the nomination form.
- Each committee member will review the nominations and rate them on a rate scale from 1-3 with 1 (lowest) 3 (highest) in each category
- The Judging committee will meet as a group and will award points according to the criteria for that category
- The Sherwood Chamber of Commerce Chief Executive Officer will verify the point tallies and results of the committee
- The nominee with the most points is selected in each category; in case of a tie the committee will cast votes for the tied candidates only
- All decisions of the Judging committee are final
- Recipients will be announced at the annual Chamber of Commerce Spotlight event on February 27, 2020.